Public Services & Healthcare

On this page you will find information about the municipality, taxes and national healthcare.

Gemeente Hilversum is the local authority responsible for public services and business development in Hilversum. To learn more about living, working, studying or doing business here, please feel free to contact us. We will assist in any way we can. You can e-mail Gemeente Hilversum at, or call us on +31 (0)35 - 629 2000.

Public Services

What do you need to know when you're planning on living in Hilversum.

Registration for municipality

If you’re planning on living in Hilversum for more than 4 months within a 6-month period, you and your family are required to register within 5 days and in person with the municipality of your residence and obtain a citizen service number (BSN - Burgerservicenummer). Your BSN is the key to many services, such as signing utility service contracts, obtaining a mobile phone, opening a bank account, signing up for health insurance, paying taxes and so on.

You can fill out the Registration Form Change of Address (pdf, 596 kB) if:

  • You are moving in Hilversum.
  • You are moving to Hilversum from another Dutch municipality.
  • You are moving abroad from Hilversum.

When you are moving to Hilversum from abroad, you need to make an appointment with the Public Affairs. More information can be found at our website Or call us on 14 035 or + 31 35 629 2000 (if you call from abroad). You can reach us on Monday till Friday from 08:30 till 17:00 and on Thursday evening till 19:30.


In the Netherlands you’ll find that businesses and organisations take protecting your identity seriously. One tool used to achieve this aim is DigID. It’s a digital signature identity verification that many governmental organisations and businesses use to provide access to their online services. For example, when filing taxes. You need to have a DigID and you an get it after you have received your BSN by going to

Opening a bank account

Once you’re registered in the Netherlands and have obtained your BSN, you’re ready for the next step: opening a bank account. You’ll find that, possibly unlike where you’ve come from, many banks operate mostly online, alongside your standard branch-based conventional banks. Each have a range of options to meet your financial needs and are equally supportive.
To open an account, you can either begin the process online or if it’s a branch-based bank, make an appointment with one of their advisors. Once you have opened an account, you will receive your debit card and PIN by mail


Everyone in the Netherlands is taxed on their income, wealth and assets. The amount of tax you pay depends on your level of income. A percentage of your monthly salary is automatically deducted by your employer. In February of the next year you will receive your annual salary statement at your home address or digitally. This document is important when filing taxes with the Dutch Tax authorities.

You are required to file a tax return in the Netherlands if you;

  • Have received an ‘aangiftebrief’ (letter) from the Dutch Tax authorities.
  • Have other sources of income (for example other salaries, own a business here or elsewhere, savings, investments etc.)

You can find more information on the Tax and Customs Administration website (Belastingdienst): (information is available in English and in German).

30% tax rule

Moving to a new country can be a taxing experience, but one delightful way to reduce the amount you pay is the 30% Tax Ruling. What’s this, you ask? If you qualify, 30% of your gross income is entirely tax free, for up to 8 years! What this means is that the highest effective tax rate (52%) is reduced to 36.4%.
Are you a highly skilled migrant or scientific researcher? If the necessary conditions are met, your employer may grant you (but is not obliged to) a tax-free allowance of up to a maximum of 30% of your gross salary to reimburse you for the extra costs living abroad involve. More information can also be found at the Dutch Tax office website:

Social security and allowances

Residents are entitled to Child Benefit for children under the age of 18 and a student can receive a loan. You and the other members of your family may be insured under one or more of these social security schemes even if you are living or working in the Netherlands on a temporary basis. Different rules apply for people who are posted by their employer to a company in the Netherlands, depending on the country in which the parent company is based.

Dutch old age pension (AOW) is a basic pension for people aged 65 and 3 months (It will rise to the age of 67 in 2021). If you are resident of the Netherlands you are covered by the AOW scheme and will accrue 2% of the full pension amount for every year that you have lived or worked in the Netherlands, on a legal basis, from your 15th birthday (rising to the age of 17 in 2021). If you move to another country, you will still keep the years of entitlement you have accrued in the Netherlands. The final amount of your old age pension will be calculated when you reach the pensionable age.

Dutch Child Benefit (AKW) is paid as a contribution towards the cost of supporting a child, under the age of 18, while living in the Netherlands. This benefit is paid at the end of every quarter. If you live in Hilversum, you can apply for child benefit at the office of the Sociale Verzekeringsbank in Utrecht. This office will assess your entitlement to child benefit.



Hilversum boasts excellent health care services. Tergooi Hospital, with a branch in both Hilversum and Blaricum, is set in an open and welcoming environment in which the patients and their loved ones feel welcome. The Hospital’s mission is to provide a warm environment where healthcare professionals can work providing meaningful, thoughtful and sustainable care. The employees and specialists at Tergooi are constantly aiming to advance and improve through their experience and procedures. Tergooi is a healthcare organization which aims to achieve constant improvement.

General Practitioner (GP)

Hilversum is served by a network of GP practises, each covering a limited area of the town and once they have registered the maximum number of patients they may not be able to take on more. If this is the case, they can refer you to their nearest colleague. The GP provides all elementary medical care and if they are unable to treat you, they will refer you to a specialist. Dentists are unrestricted by geographical location but they can also refer you to a colleague if their practise is full.

National Health Service

Medical care in the Netherlands is not free of charge. Depending on their income, a citizen is compulsorily insured for the National Health Service. In your case, it is usual for you or your company to take out a health insurance policy. You will often be asked to prove that you have an insurance policy when being provided with healthcare. Children under 18 years old are insured via their parents policy at no extra cost. Parents must register their child with an insurance company within four months of their birth.

Medication prescribed by a GP or specialist usually has to be collected from a pharmacy and must be paid for directly on collection. You will then be provided with an invoice which you can subsequently pass on to your insurance company.

You’ll find there are a large number of health insurance companies (zorgverzekeraars) to choose from, and you can change insurers and/or insurance once a year. A social security number (BSN) is required to register for health insurance. In a refreshingly egalitarian touch, healthcare insurers are obliged to accept anyone who applies for basic health insurance and must charge all policyholders the same premium, regardless of their age or state of health. If you’d like to go beyond the basics, you can get additional insurance for things like dentistry, physiotherapy, and a range of holistic treatments. However, in this case, insurance companies are not obliged to accept every application.

Registration of birth

You must register the birth of your child in the municipality where the child is born. This must be done within three days of the birth. If your child was born on a weekend or a national holiday, you must register the birth on the next possible working day. If your child was born in hospital, you must register the birth in the municipality where the hospital is located.

Who may register a birth?

  • The child’s mother or father.
  • Someone who was present at the birth.
  • The director of the hospital or institution where the child was born. (The director may authorise someone else to do this.)
  • A resident of the home in which the child was born.
  • If none of the aforementioned people are able to register the birth, the mayor of the city of birth can also do it.

What you need to bring with you

  • The date and time of birth.
  • The child’s name(s) and surname(s) at birth.
  • Valid proof of identification for yourself such as a passport, ID card or driving licence.
  • If you have acknowledged the child prior to the birth in a different municipality or at a civil law notary’s office: the document ‘Acknowledgement of an unborn child’.
  • If you have chosen a name in a different municipality or at a civil law notary’s office: deed of choice of surname.

Not required but recommended

  • Valid proof of the Mother’s identity. This will speed up the registration of birth.
  • A medical certificate from a doctor or midwife showing the date and time of birth and the mother’s name.
  • Your marriage certificate if you would like your child added to this record*.

Some foreign documents are not accepted in the Netherlands unless they have been apostilled in their home country.

Postnatal maternity care (kraamzorg)

Kraamzorg is the term given to the medical service provided by a kraamverzorgende (maternity nurse) to the new mother and her baby in the initial 8-10 days immediately following the birth. Every pregnant woman in the Netherlands has the right to postnatal maternity care. However, the hours you are entitled to it will vary depending on the particular circumstances.

You have to register yourself with a kraamcentrum (maternity care agency) preferably before week 12 of your pregnancy, to be sure that you don’t miss out on this service. More recently, most agencies have started to accept registrations at any point during the pregnancy. However, you are strongly advised to register as early as possible with your preferred maternity care agency or so-called ‘kraamzorg agency’. The sooner contact has been made, the more time both parties have to make arrangements and communicate their needs and expectations.


Registration of death

When someone dies, it is usually the funeral service provider that handles the registration of death. The next of kin can also register the death.

If you register the death yourself, you must do this in the municipality where the person died. This must be done within six days of the date of death.

You need to bring

  • A medical certificate from the doctor stating that the person has died.
  • A valid proof of identification for yourself (such as a passport, ID card or driving licence).

Permission for burial or cremation

You must have permission to have the deceased buried or cremated. A funeral service provider can make the arrangements for this ‘permission for burial or cremation’ for you. You may also request this permission at a City Office. The funeral or cremation must be carried out within six days of the date of death. Agreements can be made directly with the cemetery or crematorium.