Municipal liability

Have you suffered loss caused by the municipality, for example because of road defects or because the municipality forgot to put up warning signs for road repairs? Then you can hold the municipality responsible. This is called a claim for liability.

Claim for liability

Write a letter clearly describing why you are holding the municipality liable.

Municipality of Hilversum
P.O. Box 9900
1201 GM Hilversum

Your letter should include the following:

  • photos
  • and/or account
  • any witness statements
  • and/or police report


It will take a few weeks to process your claim notice. The situation must be investigated and this sometimes requires involving experts. The municipality will then further inform you about the claim for liability.

Further information

You can contact the municipality for further information on +31 35 629 20 00.