Complaints about the municipality

If you are unhappy about the actions of a municipal official, department or administrator, you can submit a complaint. We will subsequently contact you.

Do you want to complain about loose pavement slabs, overhanging branches, litter, broken street lighting or other nuisances? Then you can submit a public spaces notification.

If you disagree with a decision, for example for permits and licences granted, traffic decisions or a decision about your benefits, then you can lodge an objection. Do you disagree with the WOZ value (value for the purposes of the Valuation of Immovable Property Act), then you can lodge an objection against municipal taxes.

Filing a complaint

Filing a complaint

A complaint is normally processed within six weeks. This period may be extended by four weeks. Further postponement is possible with your consent. You may submit your complaint digitally through the button ‘file a complaint’ or by post.


Your complaint will not be handled if it concerns the following:

  • you have complained about this situation before;
  • the situation dates from more than 1 year ago;
  • the situation can/could be appealed (this does not apply to complaints concerning decisions not being taken in time);
  • the situation was previously handled by a judicial organization or an administrative court;
  • the situation is part of a criminal investigation or prosecution on the orders of the Public Prosecutor.

Complaints coordinator

You can contact the complaints coordinator for further information on filing a complaint about the municipality: +31 35 629 27 54. Or send an email to:


Do you object to how your complaint was handled, or are you unable to work things out with us? Then you can contact the National Ombudsman. This is an independent agency which acts as an external organization to investigate the background of complaints about municipal authorities.